In 100 words or more, comment on the following:
The author asserts that there is no separation of brain, mind, body, feelings, social contacts, or their respective environments. What are the implications of that lack of separation in relation to the classroom? What do we need to consider when designing learning opportunities?
Don’t forget to comment (in 50 words or more) on another participant’s comment on this question.
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Many of my students have horrible home lives, so it is no wonder that there are days when a student just can’t seem to concentrate. When I taught high school I ended up with a boy in my class who had been kicked out of almost all his other classes, but he came to my class almost every day and he behaved himself, even if he did sometimes have a hard time staying awake. He was 17 and living on his own, washing dishes every night until midnight, but he came to my class because there was food. I have a student who can not concentrate if he thinks another student looked at him wrong in the hall on the way to class. Until I talk with him about it and get him to calm down, there is no way he can do his work. My point is that when designing learning opportunities, some kids have way more on their minds than my classroom and a little extra effort may have to be made to reach them.
There is NO separation of brain, mind, body, feelings, social contacts, or their respective environments when it comes to students and their learning. I teach at full title one school. I see things on a daily basis that test my faith in humanity. I have kiddos that come to school hungry, neglected, and emotionally/socially unstable. I challenge anyone that states these factors do not impede a students ability to process information and learn freely! Many times I need to tend to a childs emotional and physical needs before I can even tackle the academics. When designing learning opportunities for our students we need to make sure their bodies, feelings, social contacts, and environments are safe and provided for before we can even "reach" the brain!
A: response to Sheri
I think one of the reasons that people always tell me they could never be teacher is that they would have a hard time dealing with student emotions. Students do have a difficult time putting aside their problems to learn, and my experiences working in jobs besides teaching tell me that adults do, too. Teachers don't really have the luxury of allowing our emotions and personal lives to get too much in the way because we need to be helping our students deal with theirs.
A:response to dstark
If only the rest of "privileged" society saw what we saw on a daily basis. We are the ones that see the pain, the suffering, and absolute heart breaking circumstances that our students are dealing with on a daily basis before they even enter those school doors. I really believe if law/policy makers and knew these kiddos pain our education system would look very different!
Initial Response to Question 5A
As educators, we need to consider research from a variety of perspectives. Current findings in brain-based research suggest that "every school day changes the student's brain in some way." Our brains seem to take everything into account simultaneously. Factors such as environment, social interactions, and the teacher's disposition can actually change the way a child's brain. To me, this brings about the realization that I have a much bigger impact on my students than I once thought. That impact can be long-lasting.
We must take many factors into account when designing learning opportunities. Because the brain can grow new neurons, we must help strengthen this process by enhancing exercise, lowering stress, and insuring students receive sound nutrition when possible. A positive social environment, inclusion of the arts and physical education, and skill-building strategies that lead to student success will also be beneficial.
Responding to dstark & Sheri,
I agree that politicians need to see the state of our youth before setting policy! How can children possibly improve test scores when they are in a constant state of hunger, fear, or depression? I wish our district had better lines of communication in this area for specialists. So many times I would have dealt with a situation much differently had I known in advance the real reason for the misbehavior. Some children simply act out to receive attention from their peers, while others are crying out for help. I remember learning later that one of my students had just witnessed his brother's suicide attempt the night before. I had no idea his defiance was connected to such an emotional situation, or I would have handled the situation much differently. While I was not harsh or unkind, I isolated him from his peers, which may have done even more harm. Because I teach at three elementary schools , I realize that it is probably unrealistic to know the background information on all of the students. However, in extreme circumstances, I feel that all teachers should be informed so we can better serve the children who need us most.
The implications of the interconnectivity of the mind, body, emotions and social contact and their environments, are that we, as educators need to have a real understanding of the impact of these factors on learning. One of the most effective things we can do with this research is to create a positive and safe learning environment. Another way that we can use this to the advantage of our learners is to make emotional connections to the learning, which we have learned is a very powerful tool. We also need to realize that students cannot separate things that are happening in their lives from what’s happening in the classroom. We need to do whatever we can to meet their needs in order to help them to apply their learning to their lives.
Response to dstark, Sheri, and Chrissie;
I agree with you all about the factors of stress and the difficult home lives that many of our kids face. I think the best thing we can all do is make sure that the one place we do have control, the classroom, is a nurturing and safe environment where kids will want to be and want to learn.
Article #5
5A
The implications of dividing the brain from mind, body, feelings, social contacts, or their respective environments could lead to a miss-understanding of failure in the school environment.
However, the author used warped logic to debate the importance of brain research and importance. To state that the brain is involved with every action, and therefore need to have a primary focus one could argue that educators need first understand the heart’s major function, for we may not function without a heart, or study lungs and oxygen, for without it we would die from the lack of breath, or study water, for it is 2/3rds of our body mass. I understand the brain’s importance; however, I do not think that educators need focus overwhelming amounts of study on the brain to become a good teacher.
It's actually even strange to me that someone would think any of these elements are not connected. The brain is not just some random organ, it is essentially who we are. It is the tool used not only to run our bodies efficiently, but it processes all that we see, know, feel, and learn. To me, this means that all elements of health and learning are equally important and that the brain is not only plastic, but resistent to scrutiny. It simply is. In order to teach a student, we need to remain aware of each student not as a blank slate or an empty container waiting for us to impart our knowledge, but as a complex individual with their own thoughts, needs, concerns, talents, desires, etc. We need to encourage good healthy habits, provide opportunities for students to be active and involved, and never downplay a studnet's interests as trivial or inconsequential. Brains are constantly changing and it is our duty to ensure that the changes happening in our classroom are positive ones.
response to Chrissie
I agree that we owe it to our students to reduce stress as much as we can. I really work to provide a safe and caring enviornment in my classroom. I am also cognizant of the fact that I will never be able to eliminate all the distractions, stresses, or other impediments to a child's learning. Since each student has his/her own life experiences, it is also important ot teach the student we are actually given vs some idealized version of them.
comment:
I would love to have more opportunities to learn about brain research and the impact on student learning. From reading these blogs, it sounds as though others may agree that brain-based research has great implications on student learning and achievement.
When one views the student such as dstark comments about, it does not take a brain surgeon to realize the impacts this child's life has on brain function/development.
Post a Comment