Tuesday, November 18, 2008
1A
1A. “Why do we have to do this?” This question resonates throughout schools everywhere. Is it a question you hear more in the primary, the middle, or the high schools? As a primary teacher I can verify that I do hear it in Kindergarten. Kids want to know…Why? How does this help me? I may even hear this question more in within this age group because they are more inquisitive and open to asking questions. After ten years of teaching, the majority of the time kids pose the “why do I have to do this“ question, I have a meaningful answer. With the grade level I work with I need to keep the answer very concrete to “why”. For example when kids are asking “Why do I need to cut this” my response is that it helps their hands and their minds practice and learn to work together. After reading this article I can take this response one step further…I can ask the kids…what type of jobs/things would you like to do as an adult where you will need to have your brain and hands work well together?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment