Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Moral North Star Question 1B

I teach a special education self contained high school class. This week in our class we are starting a unit called “We are Peacemakers.” In this unit, the students learn about sharing, cooperation, conflict resolution, expressing feelings, and building community. We start the unit by asking the students what they know about peace and being a peacemaker. We then use their questions and interests to guide the inquiry process. In this peacemaking unit I started with a simple question like, “What is conflict?” This will generate a discussion that can go in various directions. From the students’ interests and comments, activities are designed to explore how to resolve conflict. We will role play situations and try to come up with solutions together. We will also play a series of games designed to build friendships and develop community. Role-playing has many benefits. The children are able to take a step outside themselves and explore possibilities they might not have ever considered. By allowing students to safely explore beyond their typical boundaries, I am encouraging them to express themselves in unique ways in a positive, safe, non-judgmental environment. Performance and open-ended inquiry help move beyond traditional models of education. The arts, performance, and inquiry are small steps I am taking to help our students regain ownership of their learning. I think this type of lesson spills over into every aspect of life and the relevance of it is far reaching. People need to get along and being a peacemaker is an asset.

No comments: