In 100 words or more, comment on the following:
Discuss the connection between nutrition and brain function. What are some low- or no-cost ways we can close the gap between our high poverty kids and others at school who do not arrive with the same deficits.
Don’t forget to comment (in 50 words or more) on another participant’s comment on this question.
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Research is very clear that students who eat breakfast are better able to concentrate throughout the day and have better grades. Unfortunately, many poor students are not provided with breakfast in the mornings, whether it is because there isn’t any food in the house or there are no adults around to help them prepare it. I like that our district has a breakfast program so the kids who are the least likely to get breakfast at home can get it at school. (Although I do wish doughnuts were not on the menu, but it’s better than nothing.) I am not sure what the school can do about kids who may or may not get dinner, but at least breakfast and lunch are covered. There are resources available for families, such as WIC and FSNEP, so school counselors can help match up families with the appropriate agencies if possible.
Feed the hungry!! We are very lucky at West to have breakfast for our students. I provide a morning snack for my kindergartners and our school is piloting the federal fruit and vegatable program. With that program my students are also given an afternoon snack of a fruit or vegy. The idea of the program is for them to not only eat for nutrition but for them to experiment and try new fruits and vegies that they would not regularly be given an opportunity to try at home. I only wish we could provide for some of our students over the weekends and long holidays. I have had students that look forward to coming back to school each Monday....not for knowledge...for food. I have put families in contact with social services for assistance, but still feel helpless many Fridays as I send my kiddos home. :-(
A: Response to Sheri
I like the sound of the fruit and vegetable program! I still can't believe how many of my students don't know the difference between a fruit or vegetable. Also, many of my students have only ever eaten vegetables served on school menus (corn, beans, peas) and potatoes. Some of my students have never even heard of zucchini. If they can learn to like veggies early on, then they will eat them for the rest of their lives.
A;response to dstark
I agree, sometimes I see what is being served to our students and I wish that there were healthier options available...I do agree though that what we are offering through our programs do fill the bellies of hungary ones!
Initial Response to Question 6C
Children who are deprived of certain nutrients will react differently in various situations. For example, children who lack protein in their diets are more likely to lack motivation, mental energy, attentiveness, and quick thinking skills necessary to succeed in school. Extreme stress can also rob the body of its ability to think clearly. If poverty-stricken students experience positive self-esteem and success at school, the body will begin to produce serotonin, which is lacking in low carbohydrate diets.
In addition to schools providing free breakfast and lunch programs, many low-or no-cost interventions can also be provided. Low income students and their families can receive support through after-school programs, free community recreational opportunities, and through their local libraries. Classrooms can also help to close the gap in achievement levels. For example, classrooms that exhibit safe and trusting environments, and encourage cooperative learning will eliminate negative downshifting of the brain in addition to building self-esteem. Engaging students through a variety of intelligences and choosing activities that focus on relevant life situations of all children will also help decrease the learning gap.
Responding to dstark and Sheri,
I once heard an explanation for the increase in misbehavior at low-income schools beginning in late spring that just broke my heart: The children are feeling insecure about the future months--specifically, where their next meal will come from--so they begin to misbehave in hopes of being told that they must come to school during the summer to make up time they have missed due to their behavior. I also wonder what happens to these children during the summer months. I really notice a period of adjustment after each holiday break. It seems as though all the good we do in the classroom can be unraveled in just a few short days when students return to their unstable environments.
I had never really considered how many unhealthy meals are served in our schools until my German exchange student pointed out the fact that almost everything is served "on a bun." But given the alternative of no food...
Poor nutrition makes it nearly impossible for the brain to function for learning. It is in survival mode, and the only thing the child is thinking about is getting something to eat. I think the breakfast program is a great way to help offset this problem, but it only goes so far in helping, and doesn’t solve the much larger problem. I have seen kids save their classroom snacks and their school breakfast/lunch to take home to younger siblings instead of eating it themselves. Because of this we might consider serving second helpings to kids without making too big of a deal about it. One way that would be great to help boost all of the kids’ nutrition levels and therefore their learning, would be to serve more nutritious food in the school cafeteria. In college I remember reading about this study where a school served fresh and nutritious food, it ended up costing the same as the traditional school lunch to serve. The results were dramatic. Students’ performance increased, and there was even a drop in behavior issues.
Since we probably aren’t going to be drastically changing the school lunch menu any time soon, some other things that we can do to help in this area are to provide snacks in the classroom. A bulk bag of apples is fairly inexpensive and goes a long way. It’s well worth the money out of our own pockets to boost the kids’ nutrition and learning level.
in response to dstark;
I agree with you that the breakfast program is a great resource for these kids, and I too wish for a more nutritious menu. If this is the only sustenance these kids receive in a day, we should be making the very most of it!
Post a Comment